Education Cabinet Secretary George Magoha on Wednesday stressed that he will not change the way he works after a video of him ‘bullying’ a junior sparked outrage.
Prof Magoha was called out by a teachers’ union and the Senate after a video clip showing him insulting and publicly humiliating a senior education official in Uasin Gishu County went viral.
In the video clip shot last Friday while Prof Magoha made an impromptu visit to Langas Primary School in Eldoret, the CS is seen visibly angry and wildly gesticulating at the Uasin Gishu County director of education, Dr Gitonga Mbaka, whom he calls a “complete fool” in the full glare of cameras, teachers and other officials.
While addressing the press after visiting Kyamutheke Primary School in Machakos, CS Magoha rationalised his actions by saying that a small number of those in the field are used to not working.
“Nobody should be surprised at how I do things, I was in KNEC (Kenya National Examinations Council) … I made things work and now I am here to protect the interest of parents and children. Anytime I cannot do that I have no business being here,” he said.
He said that some of those in the field who are not visiting the schools in their jurisdiction are not worth earning salaries.
“If you have 30 schools in your area and, by the end of the month you have not visited even 10, then you have no business getting your salary. implementers must conform or I will make them do. We need to give justice to the children and government that is spending colossal amounts on them,” Prof Magoha said.
On the issue of desks in schools, he said that so far they have distributed over 75 per cent to both primary and secondary schools, noting that in Machakos they are still lagging behind.
He said that the government has spent 71 billion in both primary and secondary schools which are now more specific to the number of children following a recent audit of the children.
He said that a taskforce was formed that has actual numbers of students in the country hence making the budget more accurate in the ministry.
He said one of his achievements is the CBC and transition from 8-4-4 where he has ensured parents are no longer exploited for what the government has spent.
“As far as grade five is concerned, we are on the right track as books have been printed and we will ensure that every child has its own books and soon each child will be sitting on their own locker,” he said.
He said the taskforce that he formed has so far given virgin numbers and the ministry has cut down the budget as money is allocated per child.
The ministry will also meet with stakeholders on Monday next week where they will affirm on the opening of schools in January now that the disease is not subsiding.
“The examination classes will go on even though next week we will have a meeting where we will decide the timetable of the exam and the roadmap towards reopening in January as when they open, they will need a timetable,” he said.
At the same time, they have set aside 8.5 billion for improving infrastructure in the 30 marginalised counties in North Eastern and Turkana where they will have laboratories, classes and toilets.
In addition to the 88.5 billion the government has made available, a total of Sh2.2 billion is for infrastructure across the country.
The government will also ensure 100 per cent transition to school in January, including those in private schools.