American charged with pornography

What you need to know:

  • The American denied the charge before a criminal court in Nairobi.
  • Prosecutor Duncan Ondimu asked the court to detain the suspect pending the presentation of an affidavit profiling him.

An American was on Monday charged with child pornography.

Terry Ray Krieger, 59, is accused capturing images which he circulated through the Internet.

Mr Krieger will remain in custody pending the determination of his bail application after the prosecution asked for more time to present an affidavit objecting to his release.

The American denied the charge before a criminal court in Nairobi. He said the obscene publications he circulated were images of a child he found on the Internet.

Kenyan police had been looking for Mr Ray alias Babytoddler 123. He was arrested at Olepolos in Ngong.

This was after Interpol-Germany and America informed them of the presence of a child abuser who was in constant web exchanges with other “users” abroad.

Prosecutor Duncan Ondimu asked the court to detain the suspect pending the presentation of an affidavit profiling him.

“We will be opposing bond. This is a matter of child pornography where the suspect, who is an American, uses (the) Internet to share nude and obscene images of Kenyan children,” Mr Ondimu told the court.

The children are between three and 10 years old and are from the locality where the suspect resides, according to the police.

Investigators have obtained chats between the suspect and others in Germany and America between December 7, 2013 to May 18, 2014.

Information collected during the telecommunication interception reveals 36 files were exchanged.

“Investigations linked the use of Skype to mobile phone service provider Safaricom in Nairobi, Kenya. According to the contents of the chat traffic, the  images are of victims of sexual abuse committed by the suspect,” the Germany Police Liaison office wrote in a classified report now available in court records.

“We kindly request you to take immediate action to identify the child abuser operating in Kenya,” American investigators also wrote in the correspondence to the Kenyan Government on August 20, 2014.