Obiri's managers insist on honouring Monaco race

Kenya's Hellen Obiri celebrates after winning the women's 3000m during the IAAF Diamond League competition on May 3, 2019 in Doha. PHOTO | KARIM JAAFAR | AFP

What you need to know:

  • While withdrawing, Obiri had indicated that she had not done any speed work or trained on track since winning her world title in October 5 last year due to closure of training venues owing to Covid-19 pandemic
  • The Commonwealth Games and Continental Cup champion, said she had written to Athletics Kenya seeking clearance for her to use either Nyayo National Stadium or the Moi International Sports Centre, Kasarani for her speed work but there has been no response


Pace Sports, World 5,000m champion Hellen Obiri's management, has insisted their athlete will take part in the 2020 Diamond League opening leg of Monaco on August 14.

Obiri, who had withdrawn from the event on Tuesday, said her management has communicated telling her to do everything at her disposal to prepare for the women's 5,000m race.

While withdrawing, Obiri had indicated that she had not done any speed work or trained on track since winning her world title in October 5 last year due to closure of training venues owing to Covid-19 pandemic.

The Commonwealth Games and Continental Cup champion, said she had written to Athletics Kenya seeking clearance for her to use either Nyayo National Stadium or the Moi International Sports Centre, Kasarani for her speed work but there has been no response.

"I saw it wise to withdraw since I didn't want to put up an embracing performance being the world champion. I had not done any speed work and I thought the remaining period wasn't enough," said Obiri. "But I have to listen to my management and find ways to do my speed work."

Obiri said she hopes to find a place by Tuesday next week to start her speed work as she eyes a good show in Monaco.

Obiri and compatriot Conseslus Kipruto (3,000m steeplechase), were among five world champions, who have been lined up by the organisers of the Herculis EBS meeting.

The last time Monaco hosted a long distance track event for women was in 2017 where Obiri won the 3,000m race.

Sporting facilities in the country have remained closed since March this year after the government announced measure to curb the spread of novel coronavirus.

Already a committee set up by the Cabinet Secretary for Sports Amina Mohammed to explore ways in which sporting action can resume handed the report on Monday this week.

Katarina Johnson-Thompson, the world champion in the heptathlon, will compete in the high jump, her best individual discipline. Another middle distance star announced is Halimah Nakaayi of Uganda, the surprise 800m champion in Doha last year.

Organisers also announced the Noah Lyles, the World 200m champion, will headline his favourite event.

Others on the slate include world pole vault record-holder Armand Duplantis; Laura Muir of Great Britain, who will race over 1000m; and Germany's Konstanze Klosterhalfen, the European indoor 5000m record-holder.

Welcome!

You're all set to enjoy unlimited Prime content.