CID boss sent home after Garissa attacks

What you need to know:

  • Security officers in region accused of helping al-Shabaab in carrying out atrocities in Kenya

The head of criminal investigations in Garissa was on Sunday sent home after it was discovered that eleven security officers in the area were helping al-Shabaab in carrying out atrocities in Kenya.

One of the area’s chiefs was also sent home following a visit by a top security team from Nairobi, which discovered that government officials on the ground had links with violent business cartels controlled by the Somalia-based terrorist group.

More officers, including police and customs officials who work at entry points on the vast Kenya-Somalia border, were also interdicted to pave the way for investigations.

Inspector-General of Police David Kimaiyo said several letters, directing the officers to stay out of office, had been written and would be delivered to them with the authority of the National Police Service Commission on Monday.

“Whoever is involved will go home irrespective of the rank. Investigations are going on to establish the officers who were compromised,” he said.

Internal Security permanent secretary Mutea Iringo revealed new measures aimed at improving security in the volatile region on Sunday.

In a statement, the PS announced a reward of up to Sh100,000 for any person who gives information that would help in arresting suspects.

“The following measure has been taken: immediate interdiction of security officers and administrative officers who were involved in unlawful activities to pave way for investigations. Similar action will be taken against custom officers involved in illegal activities,” he said. Other steps taken include mass transfer of officers who have been stationed in the North Eastern region for a long time.

The deployment policy of the police dictates that no officer should serve in a station for more than three consecutive years. The security mission was ordered by President Uhuru Kenyatta following Thursday night’s attack at Kwa Chege Hotel in Garissa where 10 people were shot dead.