Lessons resume at Bahati Girls as students, teachers recover from Covid-19

Bahati Girls Secondary School

Bahati Girls Secondary School in Nakuru.

Photo credit: Cheboite Kigen | Nation Media Group

Learning has resumed at Bahati Girls Secondary School in Nakuru after teachers and students who earlier tested positive for Covid-19 recovered.

County Public Health Chief Officer Samuel King’ori confirmed Monday that five teachers, 68 students and two support staff who had been isolated at home and in the school have now tested negative for the coronavirus and have fully recovered.

However, a number of teachers who later tested positive for the virus are still isolating themselves at their homes.

The school’s programme had been disrupted as anxiety gripped the Form Four candidates.

Mr King’ori said one student was rushed to Nakuru Level Five Hospital and admitted to the isolation and management centre after she developed complications, adding that she was treated and her condition managed.

“She has been allowed to join others as the normal school programme resumes. The students have been tested once again and the results show they are all negative. The teachers have also recovered,” the Health chief officer said.

Mild symptoms

Mr King’ori said the majority had mild symptoms while others remained asymptomatic, a situation that helped the healthcare workers to easily manage the spread of the virus.

On November 5, 2020, the county health officials declared the school an isolation and management centre for Covid-19 as 115 other students went into quarantine after coming into contact with the positive cases.

Their samples were collected and sent for testing and eight more turned out positive, raising the number of infections at the institution to 83.

The school’s Deputy Principal Rose Mugo said the students are doing well and they look forward to recovering the lost lessons.

“Things have normalised and everybody is set except for a few who are yet to complete the required period of isolation. We have done exams and, moving forward, classes will be on as usual,” she said.

The county officials said that health care workers will continue to monitor the progress of the students and teachers to ensure they are okay.

They called on all residents to adhere to the Ministry of Health protocols to guarantee the safety of their loved ones.

Non-compliance with health protocols and laxity among a majority of Nakuru residents has led to an upsurge in the spread of Covid-19 in both urban and rural communities.


pmusasia@ke.nationmedia.com

Welcome!

You're all set to enjoy unlimited Prime content.