‘Ingwe’ stage coup in Nakuru


AFC Leopards players, led by former Ulinzi Stars striker Mike Baraza (front left) and Kenya international Allan Wanga (front right) mock their military opponents with an ‘eyes right’ in ‘march past’ to celebrate one of their goals during A Kenyan Premier League match at Nakuru’s Afraha Stadium on March 4, 2012. Leopards beat Ulinzi 2-0.

What you need to know:

  • Leopards’ goalkeeper Matasi saves two penalties as Karuturi striker Omondi floors Gor in Naivasha

AFC Leopards’ hawk-eyed goalkeeper Patrick Matasi was the toast of the day as he saved two penalties to help his side maul Ulinzi Stars 2-0 in a tough Kenyan Premier League match played at the Afraha Stadium in Nakuru on Sunday

Leopards now have 10 points and are on top of the table after dislodging Chemelil, 2-0 winners over Sony on Saturday.

This happened as Gor Mahia fell to a late goal at Karuturi Sport’s Naivasha backyard.

“Since the league started this is my happiest moment as a coach because beating  a physically superior side like Ulinzi is not a child’s play,” said an elated AFC Leopards coach, Jan Koops.

Brilliant day in the office

“Luck was not on our side. We had our chances including two penalties which we failed to convert,’ said a crestfallen Ulinzi Stars coach Benjamin Nyangweso.

In the 31st minute, AFC Leopard’s towering stopper Jonas Nahimana hacked Stephen Waruru inside the box.

What would have been Waruru’s first goal of the season was superbly blocked by goalkeeper Matasi who had a brilliant day in the office.

In the 48th minute, Nahimana penetrated through Ulinzi’s defence and as he was preparing for a full flight, he was brought down by one of the Ulinzi defenders.

Taking the resultant spot kick, Nahimana made no mistake with a powerful shot to give Ingwe their opening goal.

The soldiers had yet another chance to reduce the leeway when they were awarded a penalty after one of the AFC Leopards defenders handled inside the box, but  Kevin Amwayi’s blockbuster was again stopped by Matasi.

In the 74th minute Allan Wanga’s rising free kick outside the box beat goalkeeper Jackton Odhiambo all the way as soldiers Ulinzi sank into troubled waters.

Meanwhile, Gor Mahia struggled in Naivasha where they are yet to win in five years.

They caved in to a 90th minute Jacob Omondi strike to fall by a solitary goal.

Gor’s travelling fans besieged the technical bench, demanding for answers as K’Ogalo went down for a second straight time.

Gor lacked ideas throughout the game, had no shot on target, lacked creativity and did not have any urgency.

They were deserved losers, though a draw would not have been bad given that Karuturi also created nothing save for the last minute goal.

“I am happy we have beaten Gor. I thought they will be a tough side to beat, but I can say they were not what I expected,” said Michael Nam, the Karuturi coach.


You're all set to enjoy unlimited Prime content.