Second round of Huduma Namba registration coming soon, says PS

Huduma Namba registration clerks attend to Mombasa residents in the Mombasa city centre on May 25, 2019.

Photo credit: File | Nation Media Group

What you need to know:

  • Kibicho says government was unable to make use of the data collected because of lawsuits filed.

About 10 million Kenyans who missed out on the Huduma number registration last year will get a chance to have their details captured in a second round of listing to be announced soon, the government has said. 

Interior Principal Secretary Karanja Kibicho told the National Assembly Delegated Legislation Committee yesterday that 37 million citizens registered for Huduma Namba. 

“This data was stored in the gadgets that were used in the registration. It was also being conveyed to a centre we established,” Dr Kibicho said.

He added that the government was unable to make use of the data collected because of the lawsuits filed by Kenyans and civil society groups.

“With the cases concluded, the process of establishing the National Integrated Identity Management System is back on track and Kenyans will start receiving their smart cards before the end of the year,” Dr Kibicho told the committee.

Welcome!

You're all set to enjoy unlimited Prime content.