Zimbabwe post-election death toll rises to six
A Zimbabwean soldier beats a man in a street of Harare on August 1, 2018 as protests erupted over alleged fraud in the country's election. PHOTO | ZINYANGE AUNTONY | AFP
What you need to know:
- The vote on Monday were meant to turn the page on years of brutal repression.
HARARE
The death toll from a crackdown by troops on protesters following Zimbabwe's disputed election has doubled to six, police said Thursday.
"The number of deaths, and it is really regrettable and unfortunate, has risen to six as three of the victims succumbed to injuries while seeking medical attention," police spokeswoman Charity Charamba told a press conference.
Zimbabwe on Thursday awaited the outcome of presidential elections that have plunged the country into bloodshed and protest, stirring memories of a traumatic past.
"The presidential election results will start to be announced around 10 pm," Zimbabwe Election Commission (ZEC) commissioner Qhubani Moyo told AFP.
"We are hopeful that all of them will be announced today."
The vote on Monday — the first since iron-fisted ruler Robert Mugabe was ousted last year — were meant to turn the page on years of brutal repression.
But anger flared over alleged vote-rigging, prompting troops to use live rounds on protestors.