What you need to know:
- Vice Chief of Defence Forces Samson Mwathethe warned Kenyans interested in military jobs against giving bribes.
- On Friday last week, the High Court nullified the biggest police recruitment in Kenya’s history.
Kenyans lost Sh45 million to fraudsters and rogue soldiers in the last four military selections.
Vice Chief of Defence Forces Samson Mwathethe released the details and warned Kenyans interested in military jobs against giving bribes.
He was announcing plans to recruit 2,500 service men and women. KDF will also be recruiting trades men and women as well as constabularies.
The countrywide month-long recruitment started on Monday and will be conducted at 288 centres.
Lt-Gen Mwathethe said 48 KDF personnel who took money from potential recruits were dismissed from the military and sent to prison.
Ninety-six civilians were similarly arrested and handed over to the police.
“The recruiting teams will adhere to the policy of zero tolerance to corruption and are under instructions to exhibit transparency, fairness and accountability.
“The recruitment shall take place between 8am and 5pm, and candidates will be informed of their shortcomings in general at the centres. Successful candidates will be given their letters immediately,” said Lt-Gen Mwathethe.
Recruitment into security agencies in Kenya is often marred by allegations of corruption involving officials and fraudsters who take advantage of gullible applicants.
On Friday last week, the High Court nullified the biggest police recruitment in Kenya’s history in which 10,000 recruits had been enlisted, because it was tainted with corruption, irregularities and blatant violation of the Constitution.
To ensure a clean bill of health, Lt-Gen Mwathethe invited the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission, National Intelligence Service, the media and others to monitor the recruitment.