41 die, 33 injured in Narok bus accident
What you need to know:
- Bus was ferrying passengers from Nairobi to Homa Bay in western Kenya.
- Accident occurred at around 1am at Ntulele, 15 kilometres from Narok town.
- Four children among the dead.
Forty one people died after a bus rolled at Ntulele a few kilometres from Narok Town Thursday.
Thirty three others were injured in the dawn accident.
The bus was travelling to Homa Bay from Nairobi when the accident occured at around 1am.
"The driver failed to negotiate a sharp corner at Pinyinyi at around 1am," said Narok police boss Patterson Maelo.
"He (driver) lost control of the vehicle and it rolled several times."
The injured are receiving treatment at Narok District Hospital.
President Kenyatta vowed stern action saying the vehicle owners are to blame for the accident and they must bear responsibility.
"We are going to take action now, not just against the drivers but even the car owners themselves.
"We are losing too many Kenyans through road accidents and the onus is us as car owners, as commuters, as traffic police and as leaders," said the President.
He said public service vehicle owners will also be charged alongside the drivers since they should always ensure the PSVs are well maintained.
The President mourned the dead and wished those admitted to hospital a full and speedy recovery.
"My deepest condolences to the family and friends of those who died in the grisly road accident on Ntulele Road early this morning."
Former Prime Minister Raila Odinga commended the authorities for a quick response as he condoled the families that lost their loved ones.
"I am greatly saddened at the tragic news of a bus accident that has seen us lose 41 Kenyans souls so far," said Mr Odinga on Twitter.
"I commend the police and emergency services for their quick response and untiring efforts in rescuing survivors," he said.
Secretary to the Cabinet Francis Kimemia echoed President's Kenyatta sentiments.
"My sincere condolences to the families of those who have perished in the Ntulele, Narok accident. The law should be fully enforced," he said.
The Interior Ministry also condoled the bereaved families.
"Our condolences to the families of 37 people confirmed dead in an accident at Ntulele, Narok County. May God be with you all," it said on Twitter.
"Govt will assist victims who survived the Ntulele, Narok accident."