Two people were killed in a knife attack when two rival gangs clashed in the slums of Kivumbini estate in Nakuru Town East on Saturday evening.
The gangs clashed over territory – a battle believed to have started long ago.
Nakuru Town East Sub-County Police Commander Ellena Kabukuru said the incident happened at about 4pm as it rained heavily.
A gang of about 30 reportedly stormed the estate as residents sheltered from the rain outside shops and attacked two men with knives, killing them instantly.
Ms Kabukuru said dozens of police officers were deployed to restore peace.
“Police are investigating the killings and tracking down the attackers to ensure a return to normalcy,” she said.
Witnesses said the assailants dispersed and escaped after the attack, leaving them in shock.
John Kimani claimed the gangsters recently issued threats on social media as well as a warning about that attack.
“There had been rumors that the gang would storm this area and kill people but no date had been indicated. This matter is serious and needs to be handled properly by police in order to prevent more attacks,” Mr Kimani said.
Ann Teresa said it is alarming to see gangs roam and kill young people in broad daylight then disappear without a trace.
Ms Teresa said a young man was killed in a similar incident and was buried last week.
She urged Interior Cabinet Secretary Fred Matiang'i to address the matter and resolve it once and for all.
The bodies were taken to the county mortuary.
Recently, security authorities in Nakuru made a major breakthrough in their crackdown on gangs that have been attacking slum residents.
The crackdown came after rival gangs clashed in one of the slums in Flamingo estate, leading to the death of a 22-year-old man.
'Confirm' gang, which has tentacles in slums including Kivumbini, Lake View, Kwa Rhoda, Kaptembwa, Flamingo, Kaloleni and Bondeni, has been operating with impunity.
Weeks ago, detectives tracked and arrested 10 criminals at their hideout in Siaya County. Nakuru Criminal Investigations boss Benson Mutie said the suspects fled from Nakuru after learning that police were pursuing them.
Mr Mutie promised to deal ruthlessly with criminal elements and urged residents to cooperate with police. Police are targeting members of re-emerging criminal gangs including ‘Confirm’.
‘Confirm’, one of more than 90 outlawed groups in Kenya, swindles the public through mobile money transfer services and also carries out muggings and robberies.
Mr Mutie said police have increased patrols in parts of Nakuru town believed to be the hideouts of the gangs, with the aim of weeding them all out.
"The Directorate of Criminal Investigations is leading the war against the criminals. We will not rest until all gang members are brought to book," he said.