Sonko threatens to end Nairobi takeover deal over 'frustrations'

Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko during a press briefing in the city on March 29, 2019. PHOTO | FRANCIS NDERITU | NATION MEDIA GROUP

What you need to know:

  • The governor said he was considering instituting termination of the Deed of Transfer of Functions that saw four key functions transferred from his administration to the newly established Nairobi Metropolitan Services.
  • Sonko also said he had already asked a team of lawyers to do the paperwork in readiness for a move to court next week to initiate the process.
  • The deed states that the deal can only be terminated with the written consent of both parties expressed in a common document.

Nairobi Governor Mike Sonko has threatened to withdraw from the agreement between City Hall and the national government citing frustrations in the implementation of the deal.

Welcome!

You're all set to enjoy unlimited Prime content.