Murder suspect Didmus Barasa surrenders to police

Didmus: I also want to know what killed that young man

Fugitive murder suspect Kimilili MP-elect Didmus Barasa has surrendered himself at Bungoma police station.

The Director of Public Prosecutions, Mr Noordin Haji, had on Wednesday directed the police to arrest Mr Barasa who is suspected of involvement in the fatal shooting of Mr Brian Olunga, a security aide to Mr Bryan Khaemba. Mr Khaemba was the MP's main challenger in the Kimilili parliamentary race.

He has been on the run since Tuesday.

Accompanied by his lawyer and several supporters, Mr Barasa presented himself at Bungoma police station on Friday at 10.20am, according to county police commander Francis Kooli.

“We want to thank all those who have been involved in this process by sharing information. The MP presented himself as per the request we made. The police processes have started. The MP has recorded his statement and the normal processes of fingerprinting and the subsequent processes will follow,” said Mr Kooli. 

The MP, who just won re-election, is currently in custody at the Bungoma Police Station as authorities process him for presentation in court.

On the day Mr Barasa decided to surrender, the family of Mr Olunga was also pleading for justice for their kin. Speaking to the media, Mr Olunga’s father said he learned of the death of his son through a WhatsApp message.

Mr Tobias Odinga said his son left home a month ago without notifying the family of where he was going, but informed them later that he had joined a politician as a bodyguard.

“When I called him after a few days, he informed me that he was assisting one of the politicians in Bungoma County in campaigns,” said Mr Odinga.

Mr Barasa went on the run on Tuesday evening following the shooting incident of Mr Olunga, an aide of his DAP-K party competitor Bryan Khaemba. The incident happened at Chebukwabi polling station shortly after the polls closed.  

The police immediately sent out an appeal to him to surrender which was not heeded until today. However, Mr Barasa denied that he was running away from the law.

“I went to Nairobi to make an application for anticipatory bail pending arrest. But when I saw on TV yesterday the regional police commander asking me to surrender, I drove from Nairobi to this place. I am ready to cooperate with the police so that I can also know what killed that young man,” said Mr Barasa.

"I will have my day in court"

The MP, through his lawyer Dr John Khaminwa, had on Thursday made an application in court for anticipatory bail to stop his arrest over the killing of Mr Olunga.

But he also added another twist to the shooting to death of Mr Olunga, alleging that he too had faced an assassination attempt on Saturday, and another incident on that day when his security aide was attacked.

Further, Mr Barasa says there is no evidence that the bullet that killed Mr Olunga was from his firearm.

“On voting day, there were other people with guns as well, including my competitor and the police officers manning the place. We will be making an application that all the firearms that were there be subjected to forensic examination. Anyway, I will have my day in court,” said Mr Barasa.

The news of Mr Olunga’s death shocked his family who had just got home from voting.

“I had just come back to my business after voting in Navakholo when a friend called me telling me that my son had been killed and asked me to confirm from the Whatsapp platform. When I opened my phone, I confirmed the information. It shocked me greatly because my son had just completed his Form Four education and I was set to take him to college,” said Mr Odinga.

Mr Olunga’s mother, Ms Lorna Odinga, said she was shocked by the news. 

“He was a very polite person who has been mingling with all types of people,” she said.


You're all set to enjoy unlimited Prime content.