Nakuru court acquits woman suspected of killing husband

Lilian Chepchumba Keter in Nakuru High Court on January 28, 2020. She was acquitted of her husband's murder. PHOTO | JOOHN NJOROGE | NATION MEDIA GROUP

What you need to know:

  • Ms Lilian Chepchumba Keter had been charged alongside her brother and nephew with the murder of her husband, Mr Ronex Keter, in 2016.
  • All three suspects were released after the judge found evidence by the prosecution insufficient to prove their involvement.

A former Water Services Board employee charged with the murder of her husband was on Tuesday acquitted of the charge by the High Court in Nakuru.

Justice Joel Ngugi found Ms Lilian Chepchumba Keter not guilty of killing her husband, Mr Ronex Keter, in 2016.

The judge noted that the prosecution had failed to prove beyond reasonable doubt that Ms Keter conspired with her brother, Fredrick Koech, and her nephew, Daniel Mwaciru, to kill Ronex Keter on the night of April 16, 2016 at their home in Kiamunyi area in the outskirts of Nakuru town.

“I find that the circumstantial evidence relied upon by the prosecution was insufficient to establish that the death of Mr Keter was a case of homicide perpetrated by the accused persons. I will, as the law requires, give a benefit of considerable doubt established by the facts in the counsel's submissions,” ruled Justice Ngugi.

The court, however, noted that the evidence presented by the prosecution cast a shadow of suspicion that Keter could have been murdered.


However, he regretted that the prosecution failed to provide evidence to confirm the suspicion which left the court with no option but to release the accused persons.

The prosecution had claimed that the three suspects had jointly killed Mr Keter by strangling him using a power cable.

According to evidence by prosecution witnesses, the woman had a troubled relationship with her husband.

Ms Chepchumba had maintained her innocence and claimed that her husband had committed suicide.

She said her husband hanged himself inside the house using a power extension cable.

Justice Ngugi said the testimony by the defence witnesses was consistent and corroborated the evidence. He freed all the three suspects.